YARD OF THE MONTH GUIDELINES
Keep Aubrey Beautiful has been established to promote goodwill and reward exemplary lawn care in the community. The purpose of the program is to recognize neighbors who demonstrate above-average efforts in maintaining their property, thereby contributing to the overall appearance of the community at large. This is a great award and the program is administered entirely by volunteers.
For the months March through October, the Keep Aubrey Beautiful Committee will choose a lawn that best typifies the qualities of: uniqueness, beauty, appeal, and consistency with the guidelines. Since the Keep Aubrey Beautiful Committee will mainly deal with “curb appeal,” nominations will be for front and side yards jointly, as well as the exterior of the house. The Committee will select one residential yard and one business yard during the first few days of each month. The winner of the Yard of the Month will be provided with a decorative yard sign for display indicating their winning yard, as well as a posting and photo on our community website.
Yard of the Month Guidelines
- All residential and business properties within the city limits are automatically eligible.
- Award winners are selected based on the recommended judging criteria listed below.
- Key criteria include manicured yard, beautification, originality and creativity.
- The upkeep of the yard can reflect the efforts of the residents themselves or that of a professional landscaper or groundskeeper.
- An award duration term lasts a single calendar month, and runs from the first day to the last day of that same month.
- The same property cannot receive more than one award in a 12-month calendar period. At least 12 months must elapse between awards for the same yard.
- Recipients receiving awards in the middle of the month shall surrender their award at the end of that same month.
- While an individual’s home/business is being recognized as a “Yard of the Month,” they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
RECOMMENDED JUDGING CRITERIA Keep Aubrey Beautiful Committee, Yard of the Month candidates are judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. General upkeep of the yard and property is paramount.
Factors include the overall appearance, tidiness and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders & flower beds, and a visually appealing facade. Each yard will be chosen from the nomination given to the Keep Aubrey Beautiful Committee. Nomination can be made by emailing email@example.com .
LAWN: Grass should be healthy with no bare spots or excessive weeds. Grass shall be mowed and edged, and trimmed around foundations and fences. Debris (garbage, pet feces, etc.) shall be picked up and removed. A unified, simple and balanced landscape design with a neat and natural appearance is preferred.
LANDSCAPE & FLOWER BEDS: Beds shall be weeded and edged, flowers must be deadheaded and dead plants removed, trees and shrubs pruned, natural areas cleaned. Beautification efforts should include new flowers, new trees, and new shrubs, etc., with plantings in scale with the surroundings and limited to a few types of plants rather than enough to confuse the eye.
WALKWAYS & DRIVEWAYS: Walkways and driveways shall be clean (including trash containers or yard products removed from view). The area in front of the curb must be free from debris and dirt. The appearance after dusk including accent lighting, safety lighting, visible interior lighting, etc.
AESTHETICS: The overall look of landscaping (formal versus informal, use of color and textures, garden art) is important. The front entryway should be inviting, with original and creative touches to show personality (hanging baskets, pots, yard art, bird feeders, etc.)
The Keep Aubrey Beautiful Committee is dedicated to improving the quality of living and appearance of our community. We encourage residents to take pride in their homes and neighborhood. In turn, we look to celebrate those who do a superior job in maintaining their yards in such a way that they enhance the overall curb appeal of the entire community.
Nomination can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .